"And now, my beloved brethren, I would that ye should come unto Christ, who is the Holy One of Israel, and partake of his salvation, and the power of his redemption. Yea, come unto him, and offer your whole souls as an offering unto him, and continue in fasting and praying, and endure to the end; and as the Lord liveth ye will be saved."

Monday, December 22, 2014

First Week in Tamatave

Akory(common greeting in Tamatave)! 

Hey everyone how is is going, things down here in Tamatave are doing pretty well so far I am enjoying it. Its weird though because I thought it would never happen but I actually miss my first area, its where I began and where things made more sense because things here are a bit different from Tana. There are almost no buses but tons of things called puses(?), it is pronounced with an "oo" sound, and they are just little two person carriage thing pulled by a guy on a bike. Also but it is just a bit hot/humid here but normally when we are working it is fine as we ride bikes which creates a nice breeze but at home it can be a bit much. We have AC units in our house which work really well, when we have power. The power here is super weird and we don't have power most of the time because apparently the motor that the power company uses is not strong enough to power all the areas at once so instead of getting a more powerful motor they just turn off the power in some areas and rotate who has power.

But enough of that, Tamatave is actually super awesome and I think that I will love working here, I just need to learn where I am and get to love the people.

So now on Monday I learned that I was going to Tamatave the next day so I spent most of the day getting ready (doing laundry, packing most of my stuff, ect.) and I said goodbye to P and N but unfortunately P was not home so we couldn't go in but I was able to say farewell to N.

Tuesday I took Elder Gaul to the office as he was heading home that week and then I waited in the office with my luggage until it was time to leave so around 4pm. I then proceeded to wait at the bus stop with Elders Stringfellow, Hull, and Bowler as they were also coming to Tamatave and we waited until the bus left at around 6pm on a very nice coach bus, probably the nicest thing I will ever ride here and it was a good thing that is was nice because we were on the worst road ever if you get motion sick. Imagine this, take a piece of paper and begin drawing a line from one corner to the opposite corner in a diaganol (I spelled that wrong) but instead of a straight line begin making little curves in it and immediately after you finish that curve make another one right after so it looks like a snake, now fit as many curves as possible until you reach the end, you now have a decent description on what the road to Tamatave is like and it is an 8 hour drive. But never fear I did not get sick, I just really hated that road the entire way.

Wednesday we made it into Tamatave at about 2 or 2:30 in the morning and to greet us were Elders Snell, Godfrey, and Anderson. It was good to see Elder Snell and Elder Godfrey again and to finally meet my new companion but everyone was tired so we quickly went home and slept. After we woke up we went out to work and Elder Anderson has only been here a transfer ahead of me but he knows most of the area. I still don't know luch of the area or the people so I won't have much on that point right now. We aparently have some baptisms coming up so we are working to ensure that they are ready.

Thursday we went to work again and I can tell you that riding bikes all day can make you very sore, the roads here are either; decently paved, sorta paved with pot holes, or sand paths. But I am now begining be used to it. Sorry but I don't have much to say but next week I will definitaly have more detail next week after I learn more.

So I will jump to Saturday which was my birthday, I am now 19 which is a bit weird. I have to say that honestly I forgot that it was my birthday for most of the day. I remembered in english class old we were saying how old we were and then later when we went out to dinner, I got a very delicious steak and fries for about 4 dollars.

Thats about it for this week so I will write later, hopefully with more stuff.

-Elder Nelson

No comments:

Post a Comment